75% of city fires caused by short circuit2 Jul, 2012
Information obtained under RTI Act has revealed that at least 75% of fires in Mumbai can be attributed to short-circuit caused by loose wiring due to defective electric circuits (DEC). The last three years saw 13,185 fires out of which 9,711 were attributed to defective electric circuit. Further, it has come to light that between April 2009 and January 2012, 1,806 fires were caused by careless smoking or improper disposal of cigarette butts and matchsticks.
Short-circuit usually occurs in buildings in crowded and old localities where the non-renewal of wiring capacity against increased load because of additional equipment ultimately results in overheating and fire.
There have been some recent cases of fire in mantralaya building which has evoked much interest in the activists.