List of a Kabaddi competition & related information was sought - Respondent: subject selection was 16 years old & related documents were not traceable; Records are weeded after 10 years - CIC: Respondent to provide position supported by an affidavit
1.The appellant has filed an RTI application on 29.03.2011 seeking information regarding the list of the selected candidates of Kabaddi sports competition under the advertisement no. Mech/58/Sports dated 23.05.1996 and other related information.
2. The CPIO responded on 13.06.2013. The appellant filed first appeal on 07.02.2012 with the first appellate authority (FAA). The FAA responded on 06.03.2012. The appellant filed a second appeal on 03.04.2012 with the Commission.
3 The appellant participated in the hearing personally. The respondent participated in the hearing trough video conferencing.
4. The appellant referred to his RTI application dated 29.03.2011 and reiterated that he was seeking information on three points, viz. (i) list of candidates selected under the advertisement no. Mech/58/Sports dated 23.05.1996 for the post of Kabaddi sports. (ii) By which mode the date of Kabaddi sports competition was informed. (iii) Addresses of all candidates participated in the Kabaddi sports competition.
5. The appellant stated that he has not been provided the information by the respondent.
6. The respondent stated that they have replied to the appellant on 06.03.2012 that the subject selection was 16 years old and related documents were not traceable in spite of thorough search. The respondent further stated that if the appellant will provide the copy of the pertaining documents they will again make their more efforts to locate the record.
7. The respondent stated that as per their knowledge no such advertisement was issued by CNW. The respondent further said that as per record retention policy they weeded out the record after 10 years.
8. The appellant stated that the position should clearly be stated on an affidavit.
9. Respondent is directed to provide position supported by an affidavit with regard to the advertisement. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Chief Information Commissioner
Citation: Shri Sanjay Kumar v. Chitranjan Locomotive Works in Decision No.CIC/VS/A/2014/000230