Details of policies issued through him as LIC agent & commission payable to him since 1994 - PIO: information provided w.e.f. 2002 when computerization was done - CIC: PIO to check again and provide any additional information available
1. The appellant, Shri Ram Babu, has submitted RTI application dated 11 May 2012, before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), Life Insurance Corporation of India, PalasaKasibugga, Srikakulam, seeking information relating to the payment of his balance commission for his earlier agency with the respondent Company with Agent Code 47469C from 198990 to 199495.
2. Vide order dated 28 May 2012, CPIO furnished information to the appellant. Not satisfied by the CPIO’s reply, the appellant preferred appeal dated 19 November 2012, to the First Appellate Authority (FAA). Vide order dated 20 December 2013, the FAA furnished the information to the appellant.
3. Being aggrieved and not satisfied by the above response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard today telephonically. The appellant, Shri Ram Babu, and respondents, Shri Diptish Prasad, Manager/ CRM, CPIO made submissions telephonically as the videoconferencing system was not working.
5. The appellant submitted that he is seeking information regarding the details of the total number of policies issued through him as LIC agent and commission payable to him in each of the policies since year 1994. He also wanted to know the details of the cheques encashed by him till date out of the commission payable to him on renewed policies. The appellant submitted that he was ready to avail an opportunity for inspection of the computerized record, as available.
6. The respondents submitted that the information sought is very old, however, after the computerization of the records from the year 20-01-2002, information regarding the commission paid to the appellant on the respective policies (policies upon renewal and on hold) was provided to him as available with the office. The record was being maintained manually before this period (i.e., 20-01-02) and, therefore, information prior to 20-01-2002 is not available with them. The respondent also stated that the scope of RTI had been expanded by the appellant, yet, they tried their best to provide available information.
7. The Commission directs the CPIO to check again and provide any additional information available with them to the appellant regarding the commission paid to the appellant on the respective policies (policies upon renewal and on hold) as available with the office within four weeks of the receipt of the order of the Commission.
Citation: Shri Ram Babu v. LIC of India in Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2013/000683/MP