PIO: Information sought runs into more than 1000 pages & due to shortage of manpower, collation and compilation of such information was not possible - PIO: An opportunity of inspection was offered but was not availed - CIC: No further action is warranted
The Complainant filed an RTI application dated 18.10.2021 seeking the following information:
1. “Provide copy of the Design, work order & Estimate issued to Gayatri Projects for the construction of NH-55
2. Details of payment made to Gayatri Projects till date (Date wise)
3. copy of the specification & BOQ for the Construction of above highway
4. Name of the technical Consulting firm and payment given to him till date
5. Provide the name of the bidder participated in PreBID & technical BID evaluation copy & Financial BID evaluation copy of selection of final bidder /agency for the said tender
6. Copy of all file noting regarding selection of successful bidder /agency for the said work .
7. Copy of routine inspection report (Official & Technical) by authority of NHAI (Chairman, Engineer, Project Director, other officer) till date .
8. Copy of the Complaint and remarks received form public and NHAI authority against Gayatri Projects.
9. Copy of Extension letter given to above Contractor for the construction of above NH
10. Copy of the extension letter issued by Gayatri to NHAI for the delay in construction.”
The CPIO & Manager (Tech) transferred the RTI application on 26.10.2021 to the CPIO/PD-PIU, NHAI, Dhenkanal/ Sambalpur under section 6(3) of the RTI Act, 2005 for providing information directly to the complainant.
Subsequently, CPIO/PD-PIU, NHAI, Dhenkanal/Sambalpur furnished a point wise reply to the Complainant on 16.11.2021 stating as follows:-
“Copies are available in this office. As the PIU has limited staff, it is requested to personally visit the PIU to verify the records and obtain the available information/ documents.”
Being dissatisfied, the complainant filed a complaint to the Commission.
Relevant Facts emerging during Hearing:
The following were present:-
Complainant: Not present.
Respondent: K. Nageshwar Rao, PD/PIU & CPIO present through videoconference.
The CPIO submitted that the information sought by the Complainant runs into more than 1000 pages and due to shortage of manpower in their office, collation and compilation of such information was not possible. Thus, an opportunity of inspection of relevant record was offered to the Complainant, however he did not avail of the said opportunity and has rather approached the Commission by filing the instant Complaint.
The Commission upon a perusal of records finds no infirmity in the factual reply of the CPIO as the same was in consonance with the provisions of RTI Act. Moreover, the Complainant did not avail the opportunity to plead his case or contest CPIO’s submission despite receipt of the hearing notice.
In view of the above, no further action is warranted in the matter. The Complaint is disposed of accordingly.
Citation: Srikanta Ku Pakal v. National Highways Authority of India in File No: CIC/NHAIN/C/2021/156415, Date of Decision: 20/07/2022